HELP YOUR FAMILY MAKE AN ESCAPE PLAN
- Try to find two ways out from every room in your home. The first way out should be a door. Every way needs to be planned and practiced with grown-ups.
- Before opening any door in a fire, feel the door first at the bottom and then work your hand up the door to see if it is hot. A hot door means there may be fire on the other side. Try to get out another way.
- Stay low to the floor when escaping a fire.
- If you have security bars in your home, make sure you know how to open them in case you need to escape from a fire.
- Pick a safe and easy-to-remember place outside the home to meet your family after you get out.
- After you get out, call 9-1-1 or the fire department.
- Stay outside no matter what. Don't go back for anything!