Trick-or-Treating is fun but it is also an important time to practice fire safety. Follow these safety tips to have a happy and safe Halloween:
- If you buy your costume, ask an adult to check to see if it has a label that says "Flame Resistant." Flame Resistant means that your costume will be hard to catch on fire and if it does, the fire will go out fast.
- If you make your costume, try not to make one that is big and baggy so that the material doesn't touch candles or other flames.
- Be sure to stay away from candles and jack-o'-lanterns that may be on steps and porches. If you get too close, your costume could catch fire.
- Kids should never carry candles when they are trick-or-treating. Always use a flashlight or glow stick.
- Remind your family to keep candles and jack-o'-lanterns away from curtains and other decorations that can catch on fire.
- If you see other kids playing with matches or lighters, tell an adult right away!
Be safe and have a Happy Halloween!