Rescheduled: 25th Annual Executive Fire Officer Program Graduate Symposium
The U.S. Fire Administration’s National Fire Academy has rescheduled the 25th Annual Executive Fire Officer Program (EFOP) Graduate Symposium for September 6-8, 2013. The Symposium was originally planned for May 3-5, 2013.
For EFOP alumni who previously submitted an application for the May symposium, reapplication is required. Please complete FEMA Form 119-25-2 General Admissions Short Form Application.
Application forms need to be submitted by July 8, 2013. We anticipate posting a preliminary program agenda by the se date on this Web page.
We look forward to welcoming all EFOP alumni back home for this milestone 25th year symposium and hope that you will register to attend.
The agenda below is considered DRAFT and is subject to the completion of final procurement and acquisition processes.
Agenda for Friday, September 6
- 8:15 a.m. Welcome and Remarks
- Chief Ernie Mitchell, U.S. Fire Administrator
- 8:45 a.m. Keynote Presentation
- "Adaptive Leadership – 2013 and Beyond"
Marty Linsky, Cambridge Leadership Associates,
New York City New York
- 10:00 a.m. Break
- 10:20 a.m. "Vision 20/20 Update and Creating a Culture of Prevention"
- Jim Crawford, Portland Oregon
- 11:10 a.m. EFOP Grad Initiative #1
- "ISFSI/NIST Spartanburg Burns", Marion Blackwell
- 11:30 a.m. EFOP Grad Initiative #2
- "Fire Chief Turned City Administrator," Chris Cotter
- 1:00 p.m. "An International Fire Officer's Perspectives Of Completing the Executive Fire Officer Program"
- Battalion Chief Susanne Klatt, City of Essen, Republic of Germany
- 1:30 p.m. Report on the Changing Residential Environment and Life Safety
- Lawrence McKenna Jr., DHS/FEMA/USFA
- 1:50 p.m. NSEFO Report, Pat Kelly, President
- 2:10 p.m. Break
- 2:20 p.m. "2012 Outstanding Applied Research Award Winners – Project Presentation/Defense Panel"
- 4:00 p.m. Dismissal
- 5:30 Cookout at The Log Cabin
- 7:00 p.m. Friday Evening Presentation: "Writing to Change the World – The Story of the Freedom Writers"
- Erin Gruwell, Long Beach California
Agenda for Saturday, September 7
- 8:30 a.m.Focus of the Morning: "Firefighter Health & Safety"
- "Survivability Profiling – Can They Be Saved?"
Captain Steven Marsar, Fire Department of New York
New York City New York.
- 9:45 a.m. Break
- 10:00 a.m. "Perspectives on Firefighter Health & Safety: Here Is What We Think"
- Dr. Dominique Ashen, Johns Hopkins University Hospital
Billy Goldfeder, "The Secret List - Firefighter Close Calls"
Richard Marinucci, Farmington Hills Michigan
Bill Troup, U.S. Fire Administration
Janet Wilmoth, Chicago Illinois, Fire Chief Magazine
Moderator: Chuck Burkell, USFA/NFA
- 1:00 p.m. – 1:20 p.m. EFOP Grad Initiative #3
- "Employee(s) You Can't Fire", Dave Headings
- 1:20 p.m. – 1:40 p.m. EFOP Grad Initiative #4
- "Firefighter Value Proposition", Dave Matthews
- 1:40 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. EFOP Grad Initiative #5
- "Digital Age Meets Wage & Hour", J. Curtis Varone
- 2:00 p.m. Break
- 2:00 – 3:45 p.m. "25th Anniversary Legacy Applied Research Award Winners - Panel"
- Moderator: Dr. Burt Clark, USFA/NFA
- 3:45 p.m. Dismissal
- 25th Annual EFOP Graduate Symposium Banquet
- Presentation of 2012 Outstanding Applied Research Project Awards, 25th Anniversary Legacy Awards, and Roll of Honor Induction
- Recognition of 2012 Executive Fire Officer Program Graduates
Agenda for Sunday, September 8
- 8:30 a.m. EFOP Grad Initiative #6
- "Performance Codes And Their Possible Impact on Fire Department Operations", John Waters
- 8:50 a.m. EFOP Grad Initiative #7
- "LDS–EFO –SB–JHU", Dr. Burt Clark
- 9:20 a.m. EFOP Grad Initiative #8
- "Fire Service Career/Technical Ed", Bob DiPietro
- 9:50 a.m. Closing Presentation
- "Exercising Leadership in the 1860's: President Abraham Lincoln – 150 Years Later, What Have We Learned?"
Dr. Allen C. Guelzo, Henry R. Luce Professor of the Civil War Era, Gettysburg College, Gettysburg Pennsylvania
- 11:05 a.m. – 11:20 a.m. Concluding Comments And Symposium Dismissal