Statistical Reports: Nonresidential Structure Fires
Topical Fire Report Series
The National Fire Data Center's Topical Fire Report Series explores facets of the U.S. fire problem that affect Americans in their daily lives. Primarily based on data collected through USFA's National Fire Incident Reporting System (NFIRS), each issue briefly addresses the nature and relevance of the specific fire or fire-related problem, highlights important findings, and suggests other resources to consider for further information. Each topical report also includes recent examples of fire incidents that demonstrate some of the issues addressed in the report.
See Also: Residential Structure Fires | Structure Fires
New: School Building Fires (2009-2011)
Findings from this report:
- An estimated 4,000 school building fires were reported by United States fire departments each year and caused an estimated 75 injuries and $66.1 million in property loss.
- Fatalities resulting from school building fires were rare.
- There was a general increase in school building fires toward the beginning and end of the academic year.
- The three leading causes of school building fires were cooking (42 percent), intentional action (24 percent) and heating (10 percent). At 41 percent, intentional action was the leading cause of nonconfined school building fires.
- The leading area of fire origin in nonconfined school building fires was the bathroom at 25 percent.
- In 75 percent of school building fires, the fire spread was limited to the object of origin.
- Smoke alarms were reported as present in 66 percent of nonconfined school building fires.
Download School Building Fires (2009-2011) » (PDF, 1.2 Mb)
- Agricultural Fires (PDF, 132 Kb, Volume 2, Issue 10 - March 2002)
- Agricultural Storage Fires (PDF, 147 Kb, Volume 1, Issue 11 - December 2001)
- Church Fires (PDF, 125 Kb, Volume 2, Issue 7 - March 2002)
- Construction Site Fires (PDF, 123 Kb, Volume 2, Issue 14 - March 2002)
- Day Care Center Fires (PDF, 129 Kb, Volume 2, Issue 15 - March 2002)
- Fire Station Fires (PDF, 113 Kb, Volume 1, Issue 19 - December 2001)
- Nightclub Fires in 2000 (PDF, 86 Kb, Volume 3, Issue 7 - June 2004)
- Nonresidential Building Fires (2009-2011) (PDF, 1 Mb, Volume 14, Issue 5 - June 2013)
- Nonresidential Structure Fires in 2000 (PDF, 107 Kb, Volume 3, Issue 10 - June 2004)
- Rail Terminal Fires (PDF, 116 Kb, Volume 2, Issue 13 - February 2002)
- Restaurant Building Fires (PDF, 829 Kb, Volume 12, Issue 1 - April 2011)
- Restaurant Fires (PDF, 103 Kb, Volume 4, Issue 3 - October 2004)
- School Building Fires (PDF, 1.2 Mb, Volume 14, Issue 14 - April 2014)
- School Fires (PDF, 657 Kb, Volume 8, Issue 1 - August 2007)
- School Fires (PDF, 101 Kb, Volume 4, Issue 6 - December 2004)
- School Fires (PDF, 138 Kb, Volume 2, Issue 9 - March 2002)