Statistical Reports: School and University Fires
Topical Fire Report Series
The National Fire Data Center's Topical Fire Report Series explores facets of the U.S. fire problem that affect Americans in their daily lives. Primarily based on data collected through USFA's National Fire Incident Reporting System (NFIRS), each issue briefly addresses the nature and relevance of the specific fire or fire-related problem, highlights important findings, and suggests other resources to consider for further information. Each topical report also includes recent examples of fire incidents that demonstrate some of the issues addressed in the report.
New: University Housing Fires
Findings from this report:
- An estimated 3,800 university housing fires occur each year in the United States.
- Eighty-eight percent of university housing fires are cooking fires. Small, confined cooking fires account for 81 percent of university housing fires. However, cooking fires comprise only 9 percent of nonconfined university housing fires.
- University housing fires occur most frequently in the late summer and fall, peaking in September at 12 percent. Fires in September, October, and November account for 33 percent of all fires throughout the year.
- The leading causes of nonconfined university housing fires are intentional (16 percent), other unintentional or careless actions (12 percent), open flame (11 percent), and other heat (10 percent).
- Smoke alarms were present in 85 percent of nonconfined fires in occupied university housing.
Download University Housing Fires » (PDF, 788)
- Case Study: Contribution of Alcohol to Fire Fatalities in Minnesota (PDF, 99 Kb, Volume 3, Issue 4 - July 2003)
- Case Study: Contribution of Alcohol to Fire Fatalities in Ontario (PDF, 93 Kb, Volume 3, Issue 5 - July 2003)
- Dormitory Fires (PDF, 175 Kb, Volume 1, Issue 14 - December 2001)
- Establishing a Relationship Between Alcohol and Casualties of Fire (PDF, 121 Kb, Volume 3, Issue 3 - July 2003)
- Fraternity and Sorority House Fires (PDF, 115 Kb, Volume 2, Issue 12 - March 2002)
- School Fires (PDF, 657 Kb, Volume 8, Issue 1 - August 2007)
- School Fires (PDF, 101 Kb, Volume 4, Issue 6 - December 2004)
- School Fires (PDF, 138 Kb, Volume 2, Issue 9 - March 2002)
- University Housing Fires (PDF, 788 Kb, Volume 12, Issue 9 - August 2011)
- University Housing Fires (PDF, 891 Kb, Volume 10, Issue 1 - November 2009)