Encryption of public safety radio traffic has taken on new importance as agencies face the challenges of a pandemic and civil unrest added to their traditional mission. While many agencies realize the importance of encryption for protecting sensitive communications, they have questions about its implementation, practical applications and impact on interoperability.
To answer these questions, the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) released a video, Encryption in Three Minutes, which draws on interviews with responders, communications managers and engineers, emergency operations managers, and statewide interoperability coordinators from across the nation.
What's in the video
- Encryption's role in public safety.
- Implementing encryption while maintaining interoperability.
- Choosing the best encryption algorithm.
- Coordinating encryption with mutual aid partners.
- Practical recommendations for planning and implementing LMR encryption.
To learn more about encryption, visit cisa.gov/safecom/technology or email FPIC@cisa.dhs.gov.
Explore more articles: