Batteries are increasingly replacing fossil fuels and other sources of energy in industrial, commercial and consumer applications. Lithium-ion batteries are especially becoming more common in electric vehicles. These batteries present unique safety risks and challenges for emergency responders at incidents where they are present.
UL's Battery Safety Science webinar series brings together experts from a wide variety of backgrounds to discuss their research and expertise on battery technology and safety. Series highlights of interest to emergency responders include:
- Understanding and Mitigating the Risks of Thermal Runaway in Li-Ion Batteries
- Gas Emissions at Fire, Overheating, and Overcharging Events for Lithium-Ion Batteries
- The Challenges of Ensuring Safety for Battery Energy Storage Systems
- Electric Vehicle Fire Data and Concerns for First and Second Responders
- Fire Service Considerations: Investigation of AZ Li-ion ESS Incident
Webinars in the Battery Safety Science series are free and on-demand. All webinars in the series include a downloadable presentation and most provide the full video recording of the presentation. A new webinar is posted about once a month.
Explore more articles:
: Gary Coronado / Los Angeles Times