All-Hazards Articles Alert for first responder journal articles
April 2019: The All-Hazards Articles Alert is a digest of citations to recently published first responder articles from scholarly, professional and trade journals. To request an article that isn’t online, please send us an interlibrary loan request from your local library.
Fire and Emergency Medical Services Research Monitor
Newly published studies on vital topics related to fire, life safety, Emergency Medical Services (EMS) and emergency management.
All scholarly articles past 30 days
Read these articles online
Full text is available for each of the recently published articles below.
- Northeast Region Wildland fire Preparedness Guide summary + summary -
- Read the full text PDF 3.8 MB | Northeasternforests.org
The Northeast experiences over 11,000 wildfires per year burning an average of about 130,000 acres. The Northeast Regional Strategy Committee has created a new resource guide to help everyone in the region prepare for wildfire.
- A Socio-Ecological Approach to Mitigating Wildfire Vulnerability in the Wildland Urban Interface: A Case Study from the 2017 Thomas Fire summary + summary -
- Read the full text | Fire 2019, 2(1), 9
Despite the extreme wind conditions and interviewee estimates of potentially hundreds of homes being consumed, only seven primary residences were destroyed by the Thomas Fire. Firefighters indicated that pre-fire mitigation activities played a clear, central role in the outcomes observed.
- Being the Bridge: Peer Support in Williamson County summary + summary -
- Read the full text | EMS World
The author shares his team's experiences in developing a peer-support team at Williamson County EMS in Texas.
- Mapping Current and Proposed Effective Fire Response summary + summary -
- Read the full text PDF 716 KB | ArcUser
A tutorial that will teach you how to create several planning and presentation maps similar to the ones recently created by the Grant Fire and Rescue (Washington) Fire Protection District.
Explore all new articles
By specific topic