Research topic: active shooter events
This resource page allows you to browse our collection materials drawn from federal, state and local governments as well as non-governmental organizations, and professional and scholarly publications. Many of these resources are available online but not all. Fire and emergency services: if you need assistance getting access to a copy of any of these materials, please contact the library at 301-447-1046.
Links of interest
Major incidents and after action reports
- Aurora Colorado Fire Department. 2013. Century Theater shooting: preliminary incident analysis.
- Heightman, A. J. 1999. “Assault on Columbine”. JEMS.
- Jefferson County Sheriff's Office (Colorado), Kathi Grider, Rick L. Young, Kathleen Battan, and Jennifer Watson. 2000. Columbine High School shootings, April 20, 1999 the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office report. Golden, Colorado: The Office. View online.
- Paros, Sophia. 2012. “Lessons learned: the mass shootings in Tucson”. Domprep Journal.
- Sedensky, Stephen J. "Report of the State's Attorney on the Shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School." Download report. PDF 608 KB
- University of Texas at Austin. 2010. University of Texas at Austin Active Shooter/Suicide After Action Report. PDF 5.1 MB.
- U.S. Fire Administration, and TriData Corporation. 1999. Wanton violence at Columbine High School, April 20, 1999: special report. Emmitsburg, Md.: Federal Emergency Management Agency, U.S. Fire Administration. Download report PDF 2.3 MB.
- U.S. Fire Administration. (2008). Northern Illinois University shooting, DeKalb, Illinois, February 14, 2008. Emmitsburg, Md.: U.S. Fire Administration. Download report PDF 1.8 MB.
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security. (2010). Campus attacks: Targeted violence affecting institutions of higher education. Washington, D.C: The Department. Download report PDF 259 KB.
- Virginia Tech Review Panel. 2007. Mass shootings at Virginia Tech, April 16, 2007: report of the review panel presented to Governor Kaine, Commonwealth of Virginia. s.l: The Panel.
- Wallace, Mark. 2011. “Lone wolf/active shooter: attack on Texas public safety building”. Fire Engineering.
- Washington Post. 2011. Map and graphical timeline of Tucson shooting.
Guides and checklists
Psychological first aid