Research topic: legislation related to emergency management
This page highlights important legislation related to emergency management.
Post Katrina Emergency Reform Act
Public Law 109–295, October 4, 2006
- Title VI of the DHS appropriations legislation for FY2007, officially titled the “Post-Katrina Emergency Management Reform Act of 2006,” established new leadership positions and position requirements within the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), brought new missions into FEMA and restored some that had previously been removed, and enhanced the agency’s authority by directing the FEMA Administrator to undertake a broad range of activities before and after disasters occur. The Post-Katrina Act contains provisions that set out new law, amend the Homeland Security Act (HSA), and modify the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act (the Stafford Act)..
- CRS Summary .
- Federal Emergency Management Policy Changes After Hurricane Katrina: A Summary of Statutory Provisions - Congressional Research Service.
Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act – Public Law 93-288, as amended
Homeland Security Act
Public Law 107-296, as amended. An act to establish the Department of Homeland Security.
Disaster Mitigation Act of 2000
Public Law 106-390. | Summary – DMA 2000 (Public Law 106-390) provides the legal basis for FEMA mitigation planning requirements for State, local and Indian Tribal governments as a condition of mitigation grant assistance.
Pets Evacuation and Transportation Standards (PETS) Act of 2006
Public Law 109-308 PDF 120 KB | Summary – an act to ensure that State and local emergency preparedness operational plans address the needs of individuals with household pets and service animals following a major disaster or emergency.
Crime Awareness and Campus Security Act of 1990
Summary - The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act) is a federal mandate requiring all institutions of higher education (IHEs) that participate in the federal student financial aid program to disclose information about crime on their campuses and in the surrounding communities. | Jeane Clery Act signed 1990. Amended 2008.
42 U.S. Code
Text for 42 U.S. Code. Select year from drop down menu and then at next prompt select Title 42. Key chapters include:
- Chapter 15: Disaster Relief.
- Chapter 25: Federal Flood Insurance.
- Chapter 50: Federal Flood Insurance.
- Chapter 58: Disaster Relief.
- Chapter 68: Disaster Relief–Stafford Act.
- Chapter 86: Earthquake Hazards Reduction.
- Chapter 116: Emergency Planning and Community Right to Know.