National Fire Incident Reporting System (NFIRS) self-study course
This National Fire Academy (NFA) self-study course provides an introduction to the National Fire Incident Reporting System (NFIRS), its modules and data conversion issues. Coding scenario exercises are also included.
NFIRS is the comprehensive method for detailed tracking of fire, emergency and related incident responses. The information recorded in NFIRS can be used by your fire department to:
- Track current workloads, develop response metrics and statistics, and help with current asset management.
- Provide a basis for identifying, developing and implementing new programs, or redirect existing programs.
- Generate and support data that may justify the acquisition of additional resources.
- Help reduce the needless loss of life and property in both your jurisdiction and throughout the United States.
I want to enroll in this course
Enroll in “NFIRS 5.0 Self-Study (Q0494)” through our online course website NFA Online. Once enrolled, you can download the course content and take an exam to achieve an NFA Certificate of Completion.
I only want to read the course materials
If you don't want to enroll to receive a Certificate of Completion, you can download the Q0494 course materials below. The post-test is not included.
NFIRS 5.0 Self-Study modules and appendices
- Table of Contents, Introduction and Overview PDF, 353 KB
- Unit 1 – Basic Module: NFIRS-1 PDF, 2.1 MB
- Unit 1S – Supplemental Form: NFIRS-1S PDF, 182 KB
- Unit 2 – Fire Module: NFIRS-2 PDF, 490 KB
- Unit 3 – Structure Fire Module: NFIRS-3 PDF, 1.8 MB
- Unit 4 – Civilian Fire Casualty Module: NFIRS-4 PDF, 1.6 MB
- Unit 5 – Fire Service Casualty Module: NFIRS-5 PDF, 1.6 MB
- Unit 6 – Emergency Medical System (EMS) Module: NFIRS-6 PDF, 1.8 MB
- Unit 7 – HazMat Module: NFIRS-7 PDF, 1.7 MB
- Unit 8 – Wildland Fire Module: NFIRS-8 PDF, 1.7 MB
- Unit 9 – Apparatus or Resources Module: NFIRS-9 PDF, 1.2 MB
- Unit 10 – Personnel Module: NFIRS-10 PDF, 1.0 MB
- Unit 11 - Arson & Juvenile Firesetting Module: NFIRS-11 PDF, 2.0 MB
- Summary PDF, 63 KB
- Appendix A: Scenario Answers PDF, 4.7 MB
- Appendix B: Pretest Answers PDF, 57 KB