The 2019 national estimates for the leading causes of nonresidential building fires show that there were:
- 33,200 cooking fires.
- 12,800 other unintentional, careless fires.
- 12,000 intentional fires.
Overall trends in the leading fire causes for the 10-year period of 2010 to 2019 show the following:
- Cooking as the leading cause of nonresidential building fires for the 10-year period.
- A 39% increase in nonresidential cooking fires. This increase may be due to an NFIRS coding edit implemented in 2012.
- A 59% increase in nonresidential other unintentionally or carelessly set fires.
- A 31% increase in nonresidential intentionally set fires.
Leading Causes of Nonresidential Building Fires (2010‑2019)
|Other Unintentional, Careless||8500||8400||9100||8600||10000||10900||10700||12300||11900||12800|