National Fire Incident Reporting System (NFIRS) Self-Study (Q494)
Serving as an introduction to version 5.0 of the National Fire Incident Reporting System (NFIRS), this self-study course provides an overview of the data collection system, its modules, and data conversion issues. Coding scenario exercises are also included. This training program is geared to allow you to proceed at your own pace.
NFIRS is the comprehensive method for detailed tracking of fire, emergency, and related incident responses. The information that can be recorded in NFIRS can be used by your emergency services organization to:
- Track current workloads, develop response metrics and statistics, and help with current asset management.
- Provide a basis for identifying, developing and implementing new programs, or redirect existing programs.
- Generate and support data that may justify the acquisition of additional resources.
- Help reduce the needless loss of life and property in both your jurisdiction and throughout the United States.
How to Enroll
NFIRS 5.0 Self-Study (Q494) is available through NFA Online. Once enrolled, students may download the course content and take an exam to achieve a National Fire Academy (NFA) Certificate of Completion. Enroll Now »
NFIRS 5.0 Self-Study Course Materials
For students not wishing to enroll, course materials for Q494 may be downloaded below. The post-test is not included. A certificate of completion from the NFA may be earned through NFA Online only.
NFIRS 5.0 Self-Study Modules and Appendices
- Table of Contents, Introduction, and Overview (PDF, 353 Kb)
- Unit 1 - Basic Module: NFIRS-1 (PDF, 2.1 Mb)
- Unit 1S - Supplemental Form: NFIRS-1S (PDF, 182 Kb)
- Unit 2 - Fire Module: NFIRS-2 (PDF, 490 Kb)
- Unit 3 - Structure Fire Module: NFIRS-3 (PDF, 1.8 Mb)
- Unit 4 - Civilian Fire Casualty Module: NFIRS-4 (PDF, 1.6 Mb)
- Unit 5 - Fire Service Casualty Module: NFIRS-5 (PDF, 1.6 Mb)
- Unit 6 - Emergency Medical System (EMS) Module: NFIRS-6 (PDF, 1.8 Mb)
- Unit 7 - HazMat Module: NFIRS-7 (PDF, 1.7 Mb)
- Unit 8 - Wildland Fire Module: NFIRS-8 (PDF, 1.7 Mb)
- Unit 9 - Apparatus or Resources Module: NFIRS-9 (PDF, 1.2 Mb)
- Unit 10 - Personnel Module: NFIRS-10 (PDF, 1.0 Mb)
- Unit 11 - Arson & Juvenile Firesetting Module: NFIRS-11 (PDF, 2.0 Mb)
- Summary (PDF, 63 Kb)
- Appendix A: Scenario Answers (PDF, 4.7 Mb)
- Appendix B: Pretest Answers (PDF, 57 Kb)
The post-test for this course and a National Fire Academy certificate of completion is available through NFA Online