The recent bombing in Nashville, Tennessee on Christmas morning was the result of an explosion from a recreational vehicle parked in front of an AT&T building in downtown Nashville. Prompt action by local police to evacuate buildings prior to the explosion prevented fatalities. The high potential for loss of life and property in these types of incidents highlights the importance of first responders' preparedness.
The Joint Counter Terrorism Assessment Team developed the First Responder's Toolbox on Vehicle Borne Improvised Explosive Device (VBIED): Preparedness, Recognition and Response . Toolbox resources include:
- A historical overview of the 10 VBIED incidents occurring in the United States since 2010.
- Specific VBIED tactics, concerns and key safety considerations.
- Lists of pre-incident indicators observable on the vehicle itself, as well as other indicators and behaviors related to the vehicle.
- A 3D model of evacuation distances based on explosive capacity.
- Checklists for standard operating procedures for ongoing duties, facility protection, special events and on-scene response to an incident involving a VBIED.
- An incident planning tool sheet, including charted ranges of evacuation distances by explosive capacity and references for additional information.
The VBIED toolbox, along with other toolboxes for first responders, is available on the Office of the Director of National Intelligence website.
This article is based on content in the
Jan. 7, 2021 InfoGram.
Other articles include:
- DHS S&T's Master Question List for COVID-19 offers scientifically informed guidance for government decision-makers
- DHS's Blue Campaign recognizes National Human Trafficking Awareness Day on Jan. 11
- National 911 Annual Report released
- Cybersecurity threat and vulnerability updates
Featured InfoGram articles
- Jan. 7, 2021
- Prepare now for vehicle-borne improvised explosive devices
- Dec. 17, 2020
- LAFD successfully deploys firefighting robot
- Dec. 10, 2020
- Creating effective communications for vaccine distribution
- Dec. 3, 2020
- Getting ready for COVID-19 vaccine distribution
- Nov. 19, 2020
- Measuring COVID-19's impact on first responder organizations
- Nov. 12, 2020
- NWCG updates wildland fire position qualification standards
- Nov. 5, 2020
- Securing soft targets and crowded places
- Oct. 29, 2020
- Wildfire challenges, risk reduction examined in new report
- Oct. 22, 2020
- Research study contains key findings for fire investigators
- Oct. 15, 2020
- InciWeb mapping resource helps communities prepare for wildfire
- Oct. 8, 2020
- Restaurant fire and life safety during COVID-19
- Oct. 1, 2020
- First responders: prepare for white powder incidents
- Sept. 24, 2020
- NIST survey reveals wildfire evacuation factors
- Sept. 17, 2020
- New LODD online course for incident commanders
- Sept. 10, 2020
- COVID-19 increases line-of-duty deaths
- Sept. 3, 2020
- Distributive Education limits for EMS recertification waived
- Aug. 27, 2020
- FAA changes rules for public safety drone flights
- Aug. 20, 2020
- New FEMA grant program helps to build resilient communities
- Aug. 13, 2020
- 2020 Emergency Response Guidebook now available
- Aug. 6, 2020
- Reducing first responder risk at explosive device incidents
- July 30, 2020
- Prevent damage to fire department connections
- July 23, 2020
- Illegal grow houses put firefighters at risk
- July 16, 2020
- Resources to help identify counterfeit PPE
- July 9, 2020
- COVID-19 testing guidance for first responders