The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) announced on Aug. 4 a Notice of Funding Opportunity for the BRIC program. This new $500 million grant program replaces the Pre-Disaster Mitigation program.
BRIC priorities are to incentivize:
- Public infrastructure projects.
- Projects that mitigate risk to one or more lifelines.
- Projects that incorporate nature-based solutions.
- Adoption and enforcement of modern building codes.
State, local, tribal and territorial governments can apply for BRIC grants from Sept. 30, 2020 to Jan. 29, 2021.
Mitigation projects must conform with the latest published editions of relevant consensus-based codes, specifications and standards that incorporate hazard-resistant designs.
FEMA will host a series of webinars in August and September on BRIC, including content on how complete an application. Register for the webinars.
This BRIC program was created from the Disaster Recovery Reform Act of 2018. Reforms to the program came from lessons learned after the economic disruption and increased nationwide disaster costs caused by the historic 2017 hurricanes and wildfires.
This article appears in the
Aug. 20, 2020 InfoGram.
Other articles include:
- National Preparedness Month reminds us Disasters Don't Wait
- Study shows how hurricane evacuees may spread COVID-19
- FDNY Safety Week 2020 videos available free through end of August
- Cybersecurity threat and vulnerability updates
Featured InfoGram articles
- Feb. 18, 2021
- Training for EMS COVID-19 Vaccine Delivery
- Feb. 11, 2021
- CDC Virtual Forum and Guidance on COVID-19 Vaccine Programs
- Feb. 4, 2021
- February Is for Hearts: Focus on Your Cardiovascular Health
- Jan. 28, 2021
- Know your safety risks: electric vehicle battery fires
- Jan. 21, 2021
- Create your emergency plans using FEMA preparedness guides
- Jan. 14, 2021
- New tools assist wildfire detection and smoke forecasting
- Jan. 7, 2021
- Prepare now for vehicle-borne improvised explosive devices
- Dec. 17, 2020
- LAFD successfully deploys firefighting robot
- Dec. 10, 2020
- Creating effective communications for vaccine distribution
- Dec. 3, 2020
- Getting ready for COVID-19 vaccine distribution
- Nov. 19, 2020
- Measuring COVID-19's impact on first responder organizations
- Nov. 12, 2020
- NWCG updates wildland fire position qualification standards
- Nov. 5, 2020
- Securing soft targets and crowded places
- Oct. 29, 2020
- Wildfire challenges, risk reduction examined in new report
- Oct. 22, 2020
- Research study contains key findings for fire investigators
- Oct. 15, 2020
- InciWeb mapping resource helps communities prepare for wildfire
- Oct. 8, 2020
- Restaurant fire and life safety during COVID-19
- Oct. 1, 2020
- First responders: prepare for white powder incidents
- Sept. 24, 2020
- NIST survey reveals wildfire evacuation factors
- Sept. 17, 2020
- New LODD online course for incident commanders
- Sept. 10, 2020
- COVID-19 increases line-of-duty deaths
- Sept. 3, 2020
- Distributive Education limits for EMS recertification waived
- Aug. 27, 2020
- FAA changes rules for public safety drone flights
- Aug. 20, 2020
- New FEMA grant program helps to build resilient communities
- Aug. 13, 2020
- 2020 Emergency Response Guidebook now available
- Aug. 6, 2020
- Reducing first responder risk at explosive device incidents
- July 30, 2020
- Prevent damage to fire department connections
- July 23, 2020
- Illegal grow houses put firefighters at risk
- July 16, 2020
- Resources to help identify counterfeit PPE
- July 9, 2020
- COVID-19 testing guidance for first responders