Hotel and motel fire safety outreach materials
People in your community may not think about fire safety when they are on vacation or traveling for business. Use these messages and free materials to teach them about fire safety in hotels and motels.
Statistics to share
- Each year, there are an estimated 3,900 hotel and motel fires that cause 15 deaths, 100 injuries, and $100 million in property losses.
- Cooking is the leading cause of hotel and motel fires.
Source: Hotel and Motel Fires (2014-2016) PDF 596 KB
Fire safety messages to share
- Stay in hotels or motels that have hard-wired smoke alarms and an automatic fire sprinkler system in each guest room.
- Read the fire evacuation plan carefully.
- Find the two closest exits from your room.
- Count the number of doors between your room and the exits. This will assist you if you need to evacuate in the dark.
- Find the fire alarms on your floor.
Hotel and motel fire safety handout PDF ~150 KB
Download this free handout on hotel and motel fire safety to reproduce and distribute in your community. A space is provided for you to easily include your organization’s logo.
Social media messages and images to share
Copy and paste these messages to your social media accounts and ask your followers to share.
Upcoming travel or vacation plans? For a list of hotels that meet fire safety standards visit https://apps.usfa.fema.gov/hotel/
Preparing for the threat of fire is important both at AND away from home. If you have upcoming travel or vacation plans requiring a hotel or motel stay, check the Hotel-Motel National Master List of properties that meet fire safety standards before you make your reservation. Start your search at https://apps.usfa.fema.gov/hotel/
Select the buttons below to display the images at their full sizes and save them to your device. Images are sized to fit your Facebook timeline or Twitter feed.
Fire Prevention and Public Education Exchange
The Exchange serves as a centralized location for national, state and local fire prevention and life safety practices and public education materials that organizations may wish to share with other communities. Visit the Exchange to search for outreach materials on hotel and motel fire safety.
Hotel-Motel National Master List
The “Hotel and Motel Fire Safety Act of 1990” encourages fire safety in places that offer lodging to the public. Use the Hotel-Motel National Master List to find hotels and motels that:
- Have at least one single-station and hard-wired smoke alarm in each guest room.
- Have an automatic fire sprinkler system in each guest room, for buildings that are four or more stories tall.
- Are approved for U.S. federal government travelers while on official travel.
More information on hotel and motel fire safety