National Emergency Training Center monuments and buildings

Campus monuments

The NETC campus is home to the National Fire Academy, Emergency Management Institute, and three national memorials honoring firefighters and emergency services workers.

National Civil Defense/Emergency Management Monument

National Civil Defense/Emergency Management Monument

Dedicated on April 6, 2002, this monument honors the thousands of civil defense and emergency management professionals and volunteers who have worked hard and faithfully to protect the public from both man-made and natural hazards.

The centerpiece of the monument is a 15-ton block of polished white Vermont granite, shaped as a three-sided pyramid, representative of the federal, state and local governments and their efforts in working together to accomplish a joint mission. The triangular base is 5 feet on each side, rising to 15 feet in height. The pinnacle of the monument is capped with a large, bronze American eagle, sculpted by the world-renowned sculptor, Lorenzo Ghiglieri. The base is encircled by a stone and concrete plaza with appropriately inscribed bronze state plaques embedded in concrete, surrounded by a circle of state flags.

National Civil Defense/Emergency Management Monument

National Fallen Firefighters Memorial

Since 1981, the National Fallen Firefighters Memorial, located on the campus of the National Fire Academy (NFA), has stood as the national symbol of honor to America’s firefighters. In 1990, the U.S. Congress designated the monument as the “official national memorial to volunteer and career firefighters who die in the line of duty.”

The 7-foot stone monument features a sculpted Maltese Cross, the traditional symbol of the fire service. An engraved plaque on the monument bears a message from President Ronald W. Reagan. At the base of the monument, an eternal flame symbolizes the spirit of all firefighters — past, present and future. Plaques encircling the monument list the names of the men and women of the fire service who have died in service to their communities since 1981. Whenever a firefighter dies in the line-of-duty, the U.S. Fire Administration posts a notice of the death at the monument and lowers flags at the site to half-staff.

A Wall of Honor around the monument holds plaques with the names of firefighters who died in the line-of-duty. A brick Walk of Honor® winds through the beautiful campus, connecting the monument site to the historic National Fallen Firefighters Memorial Chapel.

National Civil Defense/Emergency Management Monument

To Lift a Nation (The 9/11 National Memorial)

In 2007, the “To Lift a Nation” statue created by sculptor Stan Watts was added to the National Memorial Park. This 40-foot tall bronze monument was created to honor the heroes of Sept. 11, 2001. The three-times life-size statue recreates the now-famous photo taken by Thomas E. Franklin, a photographer for the Bergen Record, who captured the image of three firefighters raising the American flag at Ground Zero. The monument stands 40-feet high, 6-feet deep, and 8-feet wide. Each of the three firefighter statues weighs more than 5,000 pounds and was formed from approximately 160 bronze sections weighing between 60 to 80 pounds each.

Building descriptions

St. Joseph College was purchased by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) in 1979 to serve as a training facility. Prior to its official closing in 1973, the college served as a four-year liberal arts college for women. In 1981, the 107-acre facility was entered into the federal records as the NETC.

The NETC houses the U.S. Fire Administration (USFA), which includes the National Fire Academy (NFA), the Emergency Management Institute (EMI), and FEMA’s Field Acquisitions Section. The following is a brief description of the buildings identified on the map.

Building A

Built: 1964 (renovated 1996)

A three-story residence hall with 96 dormitory rooms.

Handicap accessible 1st floor only

Building B (Student Center)

Built: 1956

Houses a game room, the Command Post Pub and recreational activities. A large picture window overlooks the scenic Catoctin Mountain range.

Fully handicap accessible

Building C

Built: 1956 (renovated 1995)

A dormitory with 216 rooms. Course, dormitory and vehicle registration takes place in the lobby.

Fully handicap accessible

Building D

Built: 1926 (renovated 1965, 1995)

A three-story brick structure that has the charm of the old architecture. It has 39 dormitory rooms with offices, and a student computer lab and convenience store (O’Leary’s Emporium) in the basement.

Handicap accessible 1st floor (ground) only

Building E

Built: 1926 (renovated 1966, 1993)

Occupied by staff from EMI and USFA’s National Fire Programs and budget offices, and information technology support personnel. The NETC Auditorium is located here.

Fully handicap accessible

Building F

Built: 1925 (renovated 1965, 1995)

Dormitory with 45 rooms.

Handicap accessible 1st floor (ground) only

Building G

Built: 1948 (renovated 1984, 2001)

Offices for the USFA’s National Fire Programs Division.

Handicap accessible ground floor only

Building H

Built: 1923 (renovated 1993)

Houses NFA offices, a fully equipped gymnasium, weight room and an indoor pool.

Fully handicap accessible

Building I

Built: 1996

Serves as the warehouse for the NETC campus. Offices for the USFA’s Management, Operations and Support Services division are located here.

Fully handicap accessible

Building J

Built: 1966 (renovated 1993)

Serves as the NFA’s classroom facility and houses NFA staff. It includes a lobby and a tiered 249-seat auditorium.

Fully handicap accessible

Building K

Built: Circa 1870 (renovated 1982, 1993 and 2015)

This three-story brick structure houses the NETC Dining Hall and EMI classrooms.

Fully handicap accessible

Building L

Built: 1959 (renovated 1993)

Dormitory with 37 rooms and a conference room.

Handicap accessible 1st floor only

Building M

Built: 1965 (renovated 1989)

Houses two EMI classrooms and the EMI Computer Lab.

Fully handicap accessible

Building N

Built: 1870 (renovated 1987, 1992 and 2001)

Designed by the English-born architect E.G. Lind (1829 to 1909), this building is an example of Second Empire Style and is listed on the National Register of Historic Buildings. It houses USFA offices, EMI offices and the NETC library.

Fully handicap accessible

Building O

Built: 1839 as a chapel (renovated 1965, 2006)

Houses staff from the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation.

Handicap accessible 1st floor only

Building P (The Log Cabin)

Built: 1935 (renovated 2016)

Serves as a recreational facility overlooking Tom’s Creek.

Fully handicap accessible

Building Q (The Brick Barn)

Serves as a storage building. The ornamental brick grill windows are characteristic of the early 19th century Western Maryland construction.

Fully handicap accessible

Building R

Built: 1948 (renovated 1993)

Offices for USFA’s National Fire Programs Division.

Fully handicap accessible

Building S

Renovated in 2001, this building houses the NETC Joint Exercise and Simulation Lab.

Fully handicap accessible

Building T

The old Milk House of the original St. Joseph’s campus, it now serves as office space.

Building U

A burn building complex used by the NFA for arson investigation and demonstration.

Fully handicap accessible

Building V

Built: 1992

Houses the NETC Security Office.

Fully handicap accessible