The 2020 national estimates for the leading causes of nonresidential building fires show that there were:
- 28,600 cooking fires.
- 14,600 intentional fires.
- 12,200 other unintentional, careless fires.
Overall trends in the leading fire causes for the 10-year period of 2011 to 2020 show the following:
- Cooking as the leading cause of nonresidential building fires for the 10-year period.
- A 24% increase in nonresidential cooking fires.
This increase may be due to an NFIRS coding edit implemented in 2012.
- A 52% increase in nonresidential intentionally set fires.
- A 54% increase in nonresidential other unintentionally or carelessly set fires.
Leading causes of nonresidential building fires (2011-2020)
|Other Unintentional, Careless||8400||9100||8600||10000||10900||10700||12300||11900||12800||12200|