FESHE's mission is to establish an organization of post-secondary institutions to promote higher education and to enhance the recognition of the fire and emergency services as a profession to reduce loss of life and property from fire and other hazards.
FESHE program mark
The FESHE program mark represents the idea that firefighters and fire officers, armed with knowledge and a college degree, can reduce the human and economic impact of fires in their communities. This mark is public domain and may be used freely.Download the program mark
A national, competency-based professional development system helps to eliminate duplication of efforts and enhances the overall professional development of the fire and emergency services.
Working with coordinators of 2- and 4-year academic fire and emergency medical services (EMS) management degree programs, the NFA established the FESHE network of emergency services-related education and training providers. FESHE members have made remarkable strides in working towards:
- Developing the National Professional Development Model and the Emergency Medical Services Professional Development Model.
- Developing the National Professional Development Matrix, a practical application for using the professional development models.
- Creating model course outlines for fire-related and EMS management degree programs in partnership with publishers to write textbooks that support them.
- Establishing a model for an integrated system of higher education, training and experience.
- Recognizing which collegiate emergency services degree programs meet the minimum standards of excellence.
- Fostering culture change in line-of-duty death prevention through a partnership between the FESHE community and the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation.
Professional development models
The National Professional Development Model and the Emergency Medical Services Professional Development Model illustrate how the 4 pillars of professional development influence career advancement: Training, Academic Education, Relevant Experience and Continuing Education. The models graphically support the National Professional Development Matrix.