The 2021 national estimates for the leading causes of residential building fires show that there were:
- 170,000 cooking fires.
- 32,200 heating fires.
- 29,800 other unintentional, careless fires.
- 24,200 electrical malfunction fires.
Overall trends in the leading fire causes for the 10-year period of 2012 to 2021 show the following:
- Cooking as the leading cause of residential building fires for the 10-year period.
- A 4% decrease in residential cooking fires.
- A 37% decrease in residential heating fires.
- A 44% increase in residential other unintentionally or carelessly set fires.
- An 11% increase in residential electrical malfunction fires.
Leading causes of residential building fires (2012-2021)
|Other Unintentional, Careless||21100||21000||22000||24500||24200||26400||28600||27200||27800||29800|