Follow this guidance to prepare fire and emergency medical services apparatus for civil unrest incidents:
- Remove nonessential equipment from exterior vehicle compartments. Only store items in passenger compartment if it can be done safely.
- Lock exterior compartments.
- Roll up windows and tape to limit flying glass.
- Cover hose beds with tarps.
- Place all spare self-contained breathing apparatus cylinders that are stored in stations on apparatus.
- Keep fuel and water tanks full.
- Perform routine preventative maintenance early in the day (daylight). Check vehicle, clean glass and wipers, ensure lights work, etc.