Severe weather can happen at any time, in any part of the country. That's why it's important for your community to be ready for severe weather events and to understand the fire risks that can come with them.
Did you know:
The town of Ocean Isle Beach, North Carolina, experienced several fires during and after Hurricane Isaias. Learn what caused the fires.
Fire hazards during severe weather
- Portable generators not often used or maintained
- Leaking gas lines, damaged gas propane containers and leaking vehicle gas tanks
- Appliances and vehicles exposed to water
- Debris near severed electrical wires and transformers
- Damaged or downed utility lines
- Exposed electrical outlets and wiring
Messages to share
Pictographs can help overcome literacy barriers by communicating messages with pictures. Our pictographs will help you to communicate severe weather fire safety messages to high-risk populations.